As promised last week, here is the first recipe with pumpkin! I’d like to introduce you to a wonderful spice mix for all things pumpkiny: Pumpkin spice.
It’s very easy to make at home, you can store it and use it for various pumpkin desserts and more. One of the most popular uses is “Pumpkin spice latte”, a seasonal coffee drink served in a well-known American coffee house. I don’t usually go there, but I love that latte – so when fall is here, I treat myself to a cup now and then. It’s not available yet, and I’ve been craving it. So here’s the homemade version for you!
To make your own Pumpkin Spice, you will need:
Our supermarkets usually sell those spices in good quality. Otherwise, look out for spice stands in the upcoming Christmas markets.
Mix all the spices together and store in an airtight container for later use.
How to make homemade Pumpkin spice latte:
The base of this drink (apart from coffee and milk) is a paste made of pumpkin puree (recipe here), pumpkin spice mix, vanilla extract and honey (you may use any sweetener of your choice – brown sugar or maple syrup are great options too).
Mix all of these together, add milk and heat. Add milk foam and 1-2 espresso shots and you’re ready to go!
Here’s a video for you:
Fun story: The first time I filmed this, I drank the latte afterwards, and thought that I’d really like a double shot of espresso in it. The coffee flavor just wasn’t very strong. I went to the coffee machine to prepare one – and found the first espresso shot still sitting there…I had forgotten to pour it in! So, I had to film it again.
Here’s the full recipe for you:
Pumpkin Spice Latte Macchiato – recipe by Minh Cakes
- For the Pumpkin Spice mix:
- 4 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice mix, plus more to sprinkle on the finished drink
- 2 tbsp honey (or more, to taste)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups milk (divided into 1.5 cups + 0.5 cup)
- 2 shots of espresso
For the Pumpkin Spice latte:
- Pumpkin spice mix:
- Mix all the spices together and store in an airtight container.
- Mix the pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice, honey and vanilla.
- Place the pumpkin paste in a saucepan, add 1.5 cups milk, and heat while stirring from time to time.
- For perfect foam, pour the remaining 0.5 cups milk in a smaller saucepan and heat slowly, while beating vigorously back and forth with a whisk. At around 130 F (55 C), a very stable foam will form – be careful not to overheat it or it will fall again.
- Prepare two shots of espresso.
- Fill two coffee mugs in this order: Pumpkin milk, foam, espresso and then sprinkle some pumpkin spice mix on top for decoration. Enjoy!
Pumpkin Spice Latte Macchiato:
Happy pumpkin spice-ing!